About the department
The urban planning department was started at the Chhattisgarh Swami Vivekanand Technical University, Bhilai, in the year 2017. In the year 2018, the department was housed in its own independent building and premises. The Department has the singular distinction of being the first in the Chhattisgarh in instituting a master degree course in Urban planning (M.Plan.) 2019.
Master of Urban Planning
A dynamic profession that works to improve the welfare of people and their communities by creating more convenient equitable, healthy, efficient, sustainable, and attractive places for the present and future generations. To plan a city or urban area it requires multi-layered understanding of the factors that influence the places where we live, work and use. Master of Urban Planning (MUP) allows students’ exposure to national and international best-practices in urban planning and equips them with knowledge and skills necessary for their professional careers in planning and managing growth and development of urban areas, cities and regions.
Study Tours / Visits
• Study tours are an integral part of curriculum with visitation of urban planning and prominent area which provides maximum exposure to learn about technicalities of Urban planning. City visits and field surveys in various urban regions provides a unique opportunity for interaction with society and city planners.
• Modern professional software like ArcGIS, Erdas, Geomedia is used while analyzing and designing for urban development issues.
• The course incorporates specific industry-oriented subjects like Master planning, Area Planning, inclusive housing strategies, environmental management, transportation planning etc.
• Professional as critical thinker for problem solving through design and allied research pertaining to social, economic, environmental issues in terms of tangible and intangible aspects.
• Deals with contents which are must know for GATE examination in architecture and planning
- Housing environment and planning
- Socio-economic basis for planning
- Sustainable sanitation system for Indian cities
- City and Metropolitan planning
- Infrastructure planning
- Transportation planning
- Urban heritage conservation
- Project planning and management
- Urban development and management
- Urban governance
- Legal issues and professional practice.
The research hub of CSVTU hence provide GIS equipped with the latest professional software like ERDAS Geomedia, and ArcGIS, which is basically digital image processing software mainly used for study and analysis of satellite imagery, GeoMedia used for working with and conducting analysis on geographic information, also Workstation for technical applications with 3D glass with Topo mouse is available in research hub.
Future Prospects –
1. Career in government sector
|Name of Post||Place||Through|
|Assistant town Planner||TCPO||CGPSC|
|Planning Officer||DDA||Direct Interview / written exam.|
|GIS Analyst||GIS / RS Department||Direct Interview / written exam.|
2. Career in Private sector
|Name of Post||Place||Through|
|Urban planner||Sai Consultancy||Direct Interview / written exam.|
|Urban planner||CRISIL Limited||Direct Interview / written exam.|
|Urban planner||AECOM India Pvt. Ltd||Direct Interview / written exam.|
|Urban planner||WAPCOS LTD||Direct Interview / written exam.|
|Urban planner||WSP||Direct Interview / written exam.|
3. Higher Education
|Institutes for Higher Education|
|Department of Architecture and Planning in all IIT’s and NIT’s|
|Department of Planning in Selected Private Institutions affiliated with ITPI|
|Designation||:||Assistant Professor (Temporary Faculty) & HOD I/c|
|Department||:||Masters of Urban Planning|
|Qualifications||:||M.Plan (Urban Planning), B.Arch. (Architecture)|
|Areas of interest||:||Environmental Planning, Town Planning, Housing, Architecture, Tribal Development, Community Development|
|Contact info||:||Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com|
|Designation||:||Assistant Professor (Temporary Faculty)|
|Qualifications||:||M. Plan (Urban Planning ) , B.E (Civil Engineering )|
|Areas of interest||:||Tourism Development, Housing, Town Planning, Development, Architecture Conservation.|
|Contact info||:||Email: firstname.lastname@example.org|